Friday, March 28, 2008

My QtJourney begins

I'm set to learn Qt. I stumbled upon it while searching new perspective to my Netflix Prize solution. I found Icefox's Framework, which is coded with Qt.

I got interested in it. The simple makefiles, quick build process and, for now at least, decent looking framework in general. Works both in Windows and Linux apparently, neat. I've worked with GTK+ earlier, and while I liked it, I also hated it. Coding in C++ wannabe C, sigh. Autotools, sigh.

Lately, Nokia bought Trolltech, the main developing company of Qt and Qtopia. Knowing that Nokia has put a lot of balls and cash behind Symbian, it should be interesting if they will shift their focus to Qt and put all their weight behind it. Sooner or later (my guess is later), it will happen. Symbian is not a system that will live much longer, its such horrible system to code for.

I'm just starting my journey with Qt, but I have high expectations. I'll later comment how it went, and possibly share my wtf-ish pieces of code with you. Maybe I'll write up a tutorial from moving from GTK+ to Qt.

No comments: